Monday, June 30, 2008

What Else?

I think I'm going to try and post here every day. If anything, that'll make sure that some sort of words flow every day.

So, let's mix it up a little because being boring or predictable sucks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm one of those crazy music freaks. My first concert, at the tender age of ten, was Pink Floyd at Winnipeg Stadium with my Dad. Someone offered him a joint. He didn't take it.

My Dad was a musician (was is such a weird word... he still is... but he was... if you get it). He taught me everything I know about music... and the one thing that he really hammered into me was that it didn't matter what sort of stereotype followed a genre/artist/band around. All that mattered was if it was good or not. Is it the Backstreet Boys? Is it The Beatles? It doesn't matter as long as it's good. My Dad gladly attended a Backstreet Boys concert with me. To this day, he still says that he enjoys their music because it's well executed for the genre (the key is to not expect Bach).

My Dad prevented me from becoming one of those music freaks who are also music snobs. You know the type. They've got their radio tuned to the local college station and they swear up and down that anyone who actually makes money off of their music by being 'commercial' is the scum of the earth.

Here's the thing... although there are the Britney Spears' of the world, most people aren't signed to record contracts without at least some talent and there really is some great pop out there that even music snobs should enjoy.

So, I've compiled a list of my favourite pop. It doesn't matter what your tastes are... you should be able to listen to these:

Jason Mraz -- 'I'm Yours' is possibly the sweetest love song I've heard this decade. It doesn't make a lot of sense (none of his music does), but it's just... sweet.

John Mayer -- 'Daughters' is amazing. So is the rest of his stuff. Try 'Comfortable'.

Backstreet Boys -- I had to include them. Don't think 'Get Down' and go 'ewwww...' Their last two albums were pop gems. I'd also include 'Millennuim' in the 'gem' catagory. And maybe 'Black And Blue' (which the band actually hates). Out of all of the bands/artists on my list, this band suffers the worst from stereotyping and it tarnishes how solid they are.

Justin Timberlake -- His new album is insane. I listened to 'Love Stoned' for about three days straight.

Maroon Five -- 'Songs About Jane' is the best pop album in the last decade. Hands down. It plays solidly from begining to end. They had about a billion singles off of it. If you don't own this one, get it. Now. My Dad gave it to me for my birthday a couple years ago and it's been in high rotation at my house ever since.

Nelly Furtado -- All of her music is catchy. Lots of it is also interesting. Try something like 'Party'.

Mike -- 'Grace Kelly' -- If you like Queen, pick up some Mika.

Robbie Williams -- His music is a ton of fun. You can still be slightly snobby and pick up his album of standards; but 'Rock DJ', 'Freedom', and 'Let Me Entertain You' are crazy good.

Amy Winehouse -- Forget what you see on perezhilton.com. Amy is super talented. Try 'Love Is A Loosing Game'.

Barenaked Ladies -- Some of their music is crazy funny. On the other hand, some of it is crazy deep. Try 'Call And Answer', 'Grade Nine', 'New Kid On The Block', and maybe 'Wind Me Up'. Listen to the lyrics. Oh, and listen to Steven Page! He has an amazing voice (listen to 'Break Your Heart').

Brian McNight -- The people in the apartment next to mine in the 'peg used to blare Brian every time they -- you know. My boyfriend never got it. Boyfriends, you should get it. Buy yourself some Brian.

I guarantee a lot of people would look at my list and laugh or -- be music snobs (!!), but the key is to listen with an open mind. Pop is all about great melodies and catchy hooks. Don't expect Beethoven and you won't be dissappointed.

I'm not a teeny bopper and wouldn't be caught dead throwing my bra onstage at a Justin Timberlake concert. And to be quite honest, pop is not my favorite genre. But all of the above songs/artists are on my iPod. Don't be a music snob.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In other news... it's hell's kitchen hot here! Damn! I feel like The Wicked Witch of the West -- I'm melting!

No comments: