Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I Think I Can... I Think I Can...

I just watched last week's Stargate: Atlantis.

I'm glad that in the last season, they're bringing the McKay character around. Why? Well, because the character is just so... cute! Not cute as in, like, Orlando Bloom. But more cute like... that kids story about that train that chugs up the mountain. I think McKay is like that socially. You look at him and you know he doesn't really want to be alone and that he has the capacity to be a great person and you just want him to succeed. He's already succeeded professionally, but socially... he's always struggled. The writers have always done a good job at keeping him abrasive and selfish and what have you while still giving him human qualities and showing that side of him that wants to be 'normal' through episodes like the ones with Jeannie and this season's 'McKay Looses His Mind' episode and this week's 'Rodney Falls In Love' episode. I look at the McKay character and it really is master crafted.

This week, McKay finally got it on. It took almost five whole seasons, but he's come a looooonnnnggg way.

I really like the pairing of McKay and Keller. I think that despite her initial fear of her new position on Atlantis, she's very strong and a good match for Rodney because she calls him on his shit. And instead of being almost childlike in his want to please her, Rodney is an adult around her and he wants her to be happy, not to just think he's normal and like him... if that makes sense.

I love McKay... in the last couple years, he's become one of my favorite characters on TV and I'll be sad to see him ride off into the sunset in a couple episodes.

No comments: