Friday, February 20, 2009

Virgin Radio

From the FB petition to pull Virgin bus ads:

"The unhappy young women/girls portrayed in the ads are supposed to have been impregnated by "Rock Gods". This insinuates that only heterosexual males can be talented musicians."

Um. Okay. What about the obvious 'this is disrespectful to women'??

Google the ads if you'd like to see them.

To be honest, I didn't exactly really care about the ads. They were kind of 'eh'. BUT. If you're going to petition for them to be removed, the obvious way to go is the 'disrespects women!' angle. I just think it's a little weird to take the sexual orientation angle. How does that ad say that only heterosexual males can be talented musicians? If it's anything, the ad is derogatory towards women.

Is it just me... or is the above an odd angle to take?

One of my hugest pet peeves is when people struggle to create prejudice where there is actually none. We have enough problems with small minded people. Don't create problems where there aren't any.

Well, in this case, there's a problem. In this ad, I see prejudice towards women, and, hey, maybe even rock gods (more stereotyping in this case, but let's not get too much into it), but towards gay men or women? Ridiculous.

This post is pretty retarded when you consider that the actual ad didn't offend me at all. Just the petition. I thought the ads were bad and not well thought out... and made no point what-so-ever. But I honestly didn't get in a huge huff over them when I saw them.

No comments: