Wednesday, February 25, 2009

BNL Page-Less

So, Steven Page has left BNL.

Just a quick pole... Who believes that he actually left? Hands?

No one? Okay then. Just to get that out of the way.

Now, actually, I do see one scenario where he technically could have left... Everyone else could have been like 'Yo, Steve, the way you're living your life really sucks for the rest of us' and he could have been all like 'yo, you guys are totally not cool. Fuck you. I'm quitting.'

What I really think happened goes a little more like 'Look, Steve, we love you, but snorting coke while we're promoting a kids album is just not cool. Now everyone thinks we're stoners, and, you know, we all have kids, man. And, well, no one will play us anymore and... well...'

And then...

'Are you guys firing me?'

I mean, he's Steven Page -- not freakin' Steven TYLER! The Barenaked Ladies have always been good, silly, clean fun. For everyone. They're almost the anti-rock-band. If it were any other band, a coke arrest would be nothing but a blip on the radar... but The Barenaked Ladies? Come on, Steven.

I hope I'm wrong. Because, well, that would be a pretty stupid place to go with your life when you have more opportunities than most of us could ever dream of.

Here are some Steven Page goodies. No matter how much damn coke he snorts, his voice is still amazing.






I had the pleasure of seeing BNL live a couple years ago, and man, I'm glad I went. Not only was it probably my last chance to do so (not that I could have known that at the time), but it was an amazing show.

While I do understand the choice to boot Page, I really don't understand how they're going to survive without him. So many of those songs are just his.
I know this sounds super cheesy, but an era in Canadian music fizzled today. And it really sucks.

No comments: