Friday, February 13, 2009

What Awful News

Being a complete Winnipegger, there's no way I could have managed to go through life without knowing who Ron Able was. I spent many mornings on the way to school listening to him and Caroline.

Ron died today. He was 57 years old. Fifty Seven. He found out that he had pancreatic cancer less than a month ago.

I'm not a huge country music fan, but Ron always made me laugh. A true Winnipeg legend. I honestly don't remember not having Ron Able somewhere on my dial.

I didn't know Ron personally, so it's an odd feeling... We come to feel as if we know these people because we hear them every day and they share so much with us.

Most of all, I'm just angry as hell at cancer. When will this stop? It seems like everyone has lost someone to cancer and yet most of us are so uneducated and so disconnected when it comes to what we can do to help... Whether it's where we should donate money to or where we can volunteer or what we should be doing for ourselves... we either don't know or don't do and it really just breaks my heart.

We put a man on the moon. We should be able to cure cancer.

57 years old. Just fine a month ago. This could be any one of us.

No comments: