Thursday, October 30, 2008

Confidence

I just got my story workshopped for my creative writing class. It went very well. As soon as the prof moved onto my story, I got a chorus of 'Great! I really liked that one' and stuff. In the workshop, basically, I got a whole bunch of 'I liked it because...' I had readied my thick skin for the workshop because people were being quite blunt with the other writers, but no one ripped me apart. There was one person who really didn't get it, but when I freaked out about it in office hours, my prof was quick to assure me that it was good and that you can't please every body. She said that she really liked my work and that I was doing a lot of great things. She also said that it took her two or three reads to find something to suggest for revision because my story was so focused and well written. My teacher read it all the way through without stopping to scribble on the page. Wow.

I know I'm bragging and I'm sorry... But I just really needed that, you know? I was at a point in my writing where I really needed someone to see some talent in me.

Now, after all of that good stuff, I did get some good notes for a revision and I'm going to revise it and use the revision as part of my portfolio for film school.

I'm just over the moon. It's funny how one good thing can totally put me back on track and make me feel like I'm making right choices in the direction I'm steering my life.

I did also write a short film... It's really dark. Really Dark. My writing seems to be stuck there lately. The short story I just workshopped is a serial killer murder mystery and my short is about a really wacko family with an abusive Dad. I think I need to write about butterflies and sunshine for a while :P

Hope your writing has gone equally well.

~Anon

No comments: