Sunday, October 12, 2008

How Do You Watch Movies/TV?

I have lots of friends, former co-workers, former instructors, etc, who cannot -- for the life of them -- take a step back and enjoy watching TV or going to the movies. It's like that side of their brains never gets turned off. In fact, I had this one instructor (one Gary Yates if memory serves right) who would walk out of almost every movie he went to see within the first 15 minutes.

Now, if I'm remembering this situation correctly and it really was Gary, I don't mean to sound mean. Gary was actually a great guy and I still pee laughing every time I see Without Rockets. Which, if you ever plan on doing a short ever, you really should see.

But. And this is a big but. I really feel sorry for people who can't take a step back and enjoy what they're watching. One, because I think they're missing out. And, two, because I think watching critically is a great learning tool. But then again, try telling Oscar-short-listed Gary that. If it was even him. My memory of ten years ago is quite... fuzzy.

So, after than big rant, here's what I do.

Whenever I watch something for the first time, I always turn that part of my brain off. I'm not always successful, but I do try. I watch, either enjoy or don't enjoy, and then carry on with my day.

I save all criticism for a second watching. If I ever watch again. Which I should do more of. Even then, I'm never overly critical. I watch and let a few things run through my mind:

~What lines do I love?
~What lines make me go 'people would never actually say that!'?
~Are there any scenes that I could have done without?
~What isn't believable?
~Is there anything I don't get?
~If so, what do I think the writer might have meant? How could I get that across better?
~How would _____ have looked on paper?

Let's break right here to mention that I just heard TSN drop the HNIC theme again. Stop! Please!

No comments: