Sunday, September 14, 2008

For Whatever Reason...

Okay, back to writing.

I'm having problems in my creative writing class. I'm woman enough to admit it.

Part of it is because the people in the class are mostly pretty weird and that seems to be shadowing my own writing. But really, why should I write something completely retarded just because the rest of my class is going to venture off into the land of sociopathic-lighter-carrying-body-burning-psychotic-knife-wielding-ex-boyfriend-carpenters. (And that really is a mix of a couple ideas that people shopped around during the class.)

I can be normal if I want to! It doesn't make me any less creative.

Still, I'm not sure what to write. I think I'd like to try a sci-fi piece, but I'm not really sure... it scares me a bit... but at the same time, it's something I haven't really done before and it might be exciting.

If it comes down to it, I'll just hack a twelve page piece of my novel out of the bowels of my computer and use that... but that feels like a bit of a cop out and I'd rather write something fresh.

I'm approaching finding a starting point somewhat like finding a thesis statement or an introduction. I'm looking for a topic I'd like to see expanded on and then I'll build a fictional story around that issue.

Any ideas?

No comments: