Thursday, September 25, 2008

So...

... I'm done stoically wallowing (Is that an oxymoron?)

I'm going to see 'Breakfast With Scot' next week. I'd post a link but everyone has google and I'm lazy. Basically, it's about an atypical gay couple who ends up with a flaming little boy. It looks hysterically funny and it's neat to me...

It's neat because I'll admit that I wrote a 'gay-mance'. It came about because I couldn't write any sort of romantic female characters. I just couldn't. I know... I'm a girl. And actually kind of romantic. But I was having problems (which I have since rectified) and being lazy, I just simply eliminated the female eliment *rolls eyes*.

I actually started it quite awhile ago, but it's only recently evolved into what it is now. I would actually say that it's one of my better pieces.

Here's the thing... if someone asked to see some of my work, it would probably be the first thing I would show. It would probably also be the last of my writing that I would ever expect to be produced.

I still don't think it'll ever be produced. Realistically. But things like 'Breakfast With Scot' give all of those personal favs of ours hope. You know, the stories that we all want to tell and we're not sure how others will like it... or we're nervous about the content... or you're pretty sure that there's no chance in hell that anyone will ever produce it...

Many indie films are... risque... but hardly any have the success of 'Breakfast With Scot' (and I guess that you could argue that the film isn't all that risque if you really wanted to. I mean, we live in Canada).

I'm trying to keep up with Canadian cinema because it seems that more and more great Canadian films are being made... YPF is another recent success story (although you could argue that if it wasn't called YPF and Bill C-10 had never come up, it might have went on pretty much unnoticed) and it's awesome to see great Canadian movies without the booms in the shots and all of that other stereotypical bullshit.

After that rant... I can't not mention the funding cuts to the national schools. I'm an NSI alum and I have to say that the training I got was top notch. Two thumbs up. In order to be competitive with the HUGE film market south of us, we need things like the NSI. I'm probably going to get eaten by vultures here, but I don't necesarily need to see that money returned to the NSI. I'd settle for just staying within the arts training stream. Want to try doing something different with the money? Fine. Just don't cut us off. New can be good... stopped is what's bad.

No comments: