Thursday, September 11, 2008

Today...

We all know what today is. I think we're all torn because we want to remember to honour those who were lost and those who lost them; but at the same time, we don't want to remember how we felt seven years ago today. I know I don't.

I wasn't going to talk about September 11th, but I heard a story this evening that made me realize that I couldn't just try to forget. I couldn't ignore the date. I was fine until I was driving home from school and I heard one of the DJ's on another radio station in the area recall a personal story from September 11th. She'd known someone who had lost their life. As she was telling her story, I couldn't help but cry. When she was done, suddenly I felt so silly to be listening to Maroon Five and doing all of this normal stuff. My stomach started to feel sick. I felt anxious.

I thought about what I could post on this day. Maybe the story of what I was doing when I found out or thoughts on the situation, and I came to the conclusion that no matter what I posted, it just wouldn't be enough. It wouldn't be enough.

I will say this though... I think we should all live our lives today. Some people tried to scare our freedom out of us, and so far, it hasn't worked. Love that. Go for a walk. Hug someone. Enjoy something that you love.

I would say that I'm spiritual, but I'm not particularly religious. This song always makes me cry, though. I first heard it before the 5th anniversary of September 11th. I suspected that it had something to do with 9/11 but it wasn't until I saw the intro to this video that I heard the story of why it was written.

No comments: