Friday, August 22, 2008

Annoyances

I went for a run tonight and got about half way through and started to wheeze horribly. I walked for a bit, it calmed down, and I started to run again. Immediately, my lungs were burning and I had to turn around and walk home. It was horrible... I couldn't breathe in or out... my chest was burning and I was a fifteen minute walk from home.

It's frustrating... my body is in great shape, but my lungs are still lagging behind. My legs could have run another couple miles, but my lungs were having none of it.

My asthma isn't bad enough to pump myself full of steroids... I don't doubt that some people need that, but I know from experience that once my lungs are in shape, I'm fine. I was on a shawck load of steroids a couple years ago and they just made me feel fat and yucky. I don't need a whole bunch of drugs. But it's still frustrating when my body is ready to go and my lungs still need more time. It's my own fault for not being consistent, but it still sucks.

There's only been a few times in my life where asthma has scared the hell out of me and tonight wasn't one of them, but it did make me panic a bit because I was so far away from home when it happened. I think it's going to take me awhile to calm down tonight.

No comments: