Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Great Canadian Spec

I always struggle with choosing shows to spec. Why? Because the shows I like aren't necessarily shows that people choose to spec.

NCIS - This would be my fav show. But, I don't think it gets enough hype to spec. On the flip side of things, this is something I could totally see myself writing. But, I've heard a couple times that no one is specing NCIS. Now, that could mean that my spec would be 'fresh' to someone, but it could also mean that it gets thrown out the window because I've just shown that I have no clue what to spec and don't know what's 'hot'.

Stargate - So, my guilty pleasure is Stargate Atlantis... but spec-ing it? You've got to be kidding me. People could barely pull off a Battlestar when it was super hot (and it's useless now because it's ending). Stargate? If you're going to spec a cult show, it better be a super popular cult show with a super huge following. And that ain't Stargate. Which is a shame because I really like to write sci-fi and think writing Rodney McKay would be an absolute hoot.

Corner Gas - Another one that I think I would rock at spec-ing. But it's Canadian. Sure, it's huge in Canada, but I always thought that no one specs Canadian TV. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong, though, because I'd love to spec it.

I'm thinking I'd like to spec House. I'm a little apprehensive about it though because of the new characters and the fact that we still don't know what's going on. Can I spec from back further in the series? When things were (relatively) normal? I'm not sure how to research it, though. It's not like I have a doctor on staff. I'm literally thinking that I'll peruse Wikipedia until I find some wacky medical condition and then make it look like it's lupus :P because that's pretty common on the show. heh.

2 comments:

Trevor Finn said...

You want to spec a show that is popular, not Canadian, and not too old. House could be a good spec, but it could also be too old (people may be tired of reading specs of that show). However, if you love that show and think you can write a kick-ass spec, then go for it. Better to write an amazing spec of an older show than a mediocre spec of a new hot show.

Unfortunately I wouldn't suggest speccing any of the other shows you mentioned. Stargate is too Sci-Fi and is also Canadian.

If you do want to know what to spec, pick shows that have been picked up for a second season, and have a lot of buzz. Like Mad Men, for instance. I'll probably do one myself after I've finished my Dexter (which will likely be considered too old to spec soon).

Anon said...

Thanks for your advice! Not sure if people know when I reply to their comments... hmmm...