Thursday, August 7, 2008

X-Files

I saw the new X-Files movie tonight. Despite the shitty reviews, I went in with an open mind and I have to say that I really enjoyed the movie.

The thing is... you have to go in with reasonable expectations. It's X-Files. It wasn't different from the series in any major way, and yet people disliked it. Why? Was it because they forgot what the show was about? Had carved grandiose mirages in their minds over time? Maybe.

I think it's this: It's funny how fans seem to get super upset when they're given exactly what they wanted. Almost like they're mad that they don't have to whine about not getting what they wanted and complain about something that was made special for them almost as a retaliation. Some have complained about a lack of sexual tension between Mulder and Scully. And yes, it was eased. But there's reasons for that. Also, the pain that replaces it is kinda beautiful. Without saying it, you were given what you wanted. Don't complain about it.

I will admit to grimacing at a few cheesy lines, but overall, I loved it. It was a great X-Files story. Period. X-Files is one of the first shows I remember watching every week (mostly because my parents loved it) and although I didn't watch the last few seasons and some of the episodes terrified me enough to still remember them vividly, it holds a special place in my heart. The movie was well done. It never drags, weaves a neat story, is action packed, and makes use of David Duchovney's illegal hotness. Most of all, though and through, it's so X-Files... the writing, the story, the characters. There's nothing what-so-ever wrong with it. We were all given exactly what we wanted. Let's not complain, okay?

No comments: