Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Life Choices

So I think I've decided to go to film school...

*panicked pause*

The thing is... if I'm gonna go to school, might as well have it be for something useful. I'm an english major right now.

I wouldn't be going if it wasn't such a key hole fit. The program is meant to be taken after two years of University or college and ends in a BA. Because of my prior learning, I can enter straight into the program. The two years will go super quick because I'll actually only spend two terms in the classroom. The rest is co-op.

I still need to confirm that I can use all of my prior learning and make sure that I'll be a strong candidate when interviews happen in the spring (they certainly won't guarantee you admittance now, but I've found that most programs will look at your portfolio and tell you whether or not you have a good shot). This program is competitive, but it's not UBC, so I should stand a pretty good chance of getting in.

Since I'm too late to apply for this year, I'll have to wait for next year, and I'm still pondering school this year... should I go? What if I don't get in? Then I'll regret taking a year off. On the other hand, if I do get in, it'll be a waste of time and money.

Overall, there are still details to work out, but I think I've made my mind up on the big picture. It's an investment of time, but it'll help me gain experience and finish up my education, so I look at it as win win.

No comments: