Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Film School

I had a very positive phone conversation with the department chair of the VPA program that houses the film program I'd like to attend. He gave me a bit more background on what the program is looking for student-wise and it sounds like I'd be a very competitive candidate. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Here's the funny thing... you may have noticed that it was the chair who phoned me back. Probably the busiest person in the building at this time of year. I left a message with the program head (of the film school) and he never called me back... even after the program admin person forwarded my email, told me to call, etc. To put it into perspective, it would be like the chair of the science department giving you a call back instead of the head of the physics program. Now, after talking to this VPA chair, he suggested talking to the head of the film department. I diligently 'um-hm-ed' and jotted down his information even though I already called him, while Mr. Chair assured me that he'd ask Mr. Film School to call me. I shall see if Mr. Chair will be able to get said head dude to call me.

Anyways, aside from knowing that the department head is a little tardy in regards to returning messages, it's nice to know that the bussiest guy in the building makes time to talk to students and return calls/emails.

The screenwriting prof actually seems to have some reputable credits, so this might turn out better than I thought. I'm always weary of any sort of VPA program because in most VPA professions, you can make more money by doing what you're trained to do if you're good at it. Meaning that only those who aren't good at it would choose to teach unless they have some weird impulse to fulfill a need to nurture young minds or some other BS. The one place I found this untrue was broadcasting school because almost all of us broadcasters are so underpaid that teaching is like being rich. In fact, some people go to school, work for a couple years, and then leave to teach the next batch of idiots -- I mean students -- entering broadcasting school. Some of the teachers are insanely talented and experienced... but some aren't much more experienced than the students which creates a yucky situation when you're paying over 10 grand a year to go to a private college and learn a job that won't pay you much more than that the first year out. You could go to medical school for less. Which makes you bitter to begin with... the fact that the teacher only worked one summer at CKXX in Timbucktoo, Any-Province doesn't make it any easier to pay your tuition.

Anyway, it's bed time for me. It should have been bed time a couple hours ago... I had such weird dreams last night... it always happens when I eat chocolate or write. Last night was chocolate. The point is that I need some sleep. I actually skipped the gym tonight because I was tired and had a headache and that's kinda like staying home from school... if you're gonna do it, you'd better be in bed, sleeping.

Sweet dreams!

~Anon

No comments: