Friday, August 1, 2008

Ryan Dinwiddie: Yay or Nay

I say nay. I didn't like what I saw from him this evening. His second half was a little better, but still not good. I have to agree with the guys on TSN... he just doesn't have the arm, and against a team like TO, it really shows. He's not well matched with their defence.

Ryan is a competent QB. Is he right for the Bombers right now? No. I don't think so.

I also have to say that I was super pissed off to see that Kevin was sat. The guy was runner up for MVP last year and led the Bombers to a Grey Cup appearance. Yes, I agree that he hasn't been playing his best, but it's not just him. They're making an example out of him and that's something that I can't stand. The guy is coming back from a snapped arm. Sure, it wasn't his throwing arm, but I'd be willing to guess that he spent most of the off season in a cast and is feeling a little off.

Kevin deserved more of a chance than he got... I don't want to say this is shades of Kahari Jones, but it's along the same vein. Kevin deserves a little more respect than he's getting. And although the Bombers were a tad bit more patient with Jones, Kahari deserved a lot more than he got. Winnipeg is so quick to tag a new hero and cast the guy who came before him aside, and that doesn't always work. Tonight's game is evidence.

Winnipeg is one of the most talented teams in the league and yet they're a mess. I don't understand how or why, but I don't think taking out your star QB is going to fix it.

I like Doug Berry, but he's made a lot of decisions I don't agree with and I know that many Winnipegers feel the same way, so the Bombers better pull up their socks. Berry seems to work by pulling players' confidence down to shake them up, thinking that will work, and by playing mind games (read: Troy Westwood) and I hate watching it.

It's sad to admit this, but Winnipeg is a town that will turn on it's team when they're not winning. This ain't Hamilton! We're used to winning and we'll stop buying tickets when it's a given that the Bombers are going to lose. If we do end up going to the games, it's not pretty. We'll boo our own team. I once threw a snowball at Cal Murphy. Seriously. We expect to win and will not take the talented team that we paid for (the Bombers are publicly owned) blowing games. And we put our foot down with a drop in ticket sales... which, really, is counterproductive... because having a poor team won't fix the problems.

Winnipeg is a true sports city. When the seasons collide, all three of our major sports teams will have sold out games on the same night. Canwest, MTS Center, and WPG Stadium. Name another city Winnipeg's size that can do that. So, it's not that we don't love our team... it's just that with all of that devotion comes despair (read: anger) when the players on the field don't live up to their end of the bargain.

Winnipeg is a tough town to play in when you're losing, but when you're winning, there's no better place to be.

Good luck blue and gold. You're going to need it.

No comments: