Monday, August 4, 2008

Skate Questions...

If the off chance that a skater reads this...

I'm buying new skates (boots and blades) and I'm a bit confused on what to buy. Right now, I have Jackson boots and blades. I love the shape of the Jackson boot, but I HATE (absolutely hate) the blades. HATE! I can't turn over into a spin as easily as I'd like and they feel tougher on the ice than the other blades I've used.

I used to use Risport boots. I think they're a little narrow for my feet and I never did get a really good fit although they were super comfortable.

So, for boots, I'd like the inside comfort of Risport and the shape of a Jackson. I'm thinking Ridell. One of their top 'medallion' brands? Nothing too fancy. I've heard that Ridell skates are nice and light and my Risports were a little heavy. Jacksons were in between. Before anyone suggests Gam, I've already decided against it. Aren't they pretty much the same as a Jackson?

As for blades, my hate for Jackson/Ultima knows no bounds. I actually literally hate my blades. I loved the Club 2000's I had on a pair of Risports a couple pairs of skates ago, but when I looked them up online, the listing proclaimed 'Great for Beginners!' Anyone know of something similar to a Club 2000 that will hold up to higher level skills, jumps and dance? That doesn't feel like you're dragging through sand (like my Jackson's)?

I'm looking to spend anywhere from $300-$500, so no custom fit crazyness, but I will pay for quality. Most of all, I'm looking for a good blade recommendation because they're the only thing you can't really try on before you buy. I can put the boots on and see how they feel... see if they're light enough... but I can't test out a blade before having it screwed on, so any help picking a good set would be appreciated.

No comments: