Saturday, November 15, 2008

GRRRR!!!

I did a series of steep hills for my run this morning. I hadn't done this route before, and as I was going DOWN the first hill, I thought, gee, this is really steep. And long. I'm going to have to go UP this on the way home.

But, off I went, up and down hills for about 45 minutes. Then I hit the mountain I'd decended on at the start of my run. I was already ready to call it quits after so many hills. I could see it looming through the morning fog. I set my jaw and told myself I was going to do it. I pushed myself with single minded competitiveness until I had to stop. Had to. It was awful. AWFUL! I thought I was going to have to sit down on the side of the road and take a break because just walking seemed a little too much. That wasn't a hill! It was an Alpine or something! I managed to walk the rest of the way up and not embarass myself in front of the people leaving church, and as I walked home, I came to the conclusion that pushing to the point of jello legs up a long steep hill might not be the best idea. I will take a bit more time next time... pace myself better leading up to it... and maybe not try to give myself a heart attack on the way up! Really though, I think I just didn't realize how hard it was going to be and not only did I completely wear myself out before hand, but I tried to take it a bit too quickly.

Eventually, I shall conquer my neighborhood Everest!

No comments: