Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Yes and No

While Prop 8 is still pending, I think many people have forgotten some of the other ballot issues in other states.

It's sad to note that Arizona has banned gay mariage and Florida looks like it's going to as well. Arkansas has banned gay couples from adopting children.

It's an historic day in the US and after coming down from the Obama high, the negative aspects are making my heart a little heavy.

So many couples are going to stay awake in California waiting for those results while wondering if their mariage is going to be revoked by people who don't even know them. And there's a good chance that they'll crawl into bed tonight knowing that when they wake up in the morning, their worlds will change because their state has voted to discriminate against them. That should not happen anywhere, never mind here in North America. I can only hope that the early results are not indicitive of the end result.

In Arizona, there are couples who will go to bed tonight knowing that as long as they choose to stay in Arizona, they will not have the rights given freely to their fellow citizens -- that their constitution now prohibits it because of who they choose to spend their lives with... raise their families with.

Are we really this hurtful? Are we really this judgmental? Prejudice? Narrow minded?

I would love to rant on this topic and how we're all people. But, I'd be wasting my breath. The people who agree with me don't need to hear it all again and the people who disagree won't be swayed by my ranting.

No comments: