Sunday, July 6, 2008

1st Draft

I just finished the first draft of the spec screenplay I was working on. This is notable because it's the first major project I've finished in a long, long time.

I spent a fair amount of time planning and heavily (heavily!) outlining, so when I actually sat down to write it, it didn't take too long. It came in at 1:14 PM at 114 pages. Heh. I'm geekily amused by that. I celebrated with a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I'm about to continue the celebrations by cleaning. I always clean when I feel accomplished. Don't judge me!

I know there's a lot of work to do on it, but as far as first drafts go, I'm pretty happy with it. But, we'll see if that's still how I feel when I do a second draft. I'm going to go change some formatting that's been on my mind throughout the last few pages and then I'm going to let it ferment for a couple days before I start my second draft.

Honestly, I know a lot of it needs to be changed. But since I know that, it doesn't seem so daunting. Overall, I think the pacing is good and I'm happy with the dialogue, but there's points where I think things need to be tightened/tweaked. I know whole scenes will probably change/disappear/appear. Also, I think I need to better convey certain points. For example, we see one character complaining about an aspect of another character, but I don't think we see that second character being what the other character is complaining about enough. It's a case of the writer getting it, but the reader probably not getting it.

So, lots of changes to be made. But, I'm off to clean my bathroom!

No comments: