Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Lucy Maude I Am Not

I was thinking about yesterday's post on 'grounding' yourself to a character. I don't think it's something that can always be done, or, for that matter, should always be done, but I know that it works for me quite a bit. The thing about technique is that you need to have a few that work for you. One technique is not going to work for everything and it's always good to mix things up. So, that's just one of mine.

I was thinking today about different kinds of writing. Books. Plays. Commercials. Whatever.

I once tried to write a book. On a dare. No kidding. One of my friends had said:

'You know, ____, I think you're a good writer, but I don't think you could sit down and write a whole book.'

And since I did think I was a good writer (And don't use this blog as an example. I tend to ramble and then hit 'publish'.), I sat my ass down at my desk and started to write a book!

Needless to say, it didn't quite work out. The reason why is slightly more than 'you tried to write a book on a dare!'

No, what happened was this:

I started the same way that I would write a script. I outlined heavily. Then I started writing. At first, it all went swimmingly. Then, well, to tell you the truth, I started to get bored. No, it wasn't the story that was boring (in my opinion, anyways), it was the act of writing it that was getting boring.

See, I knew how it ended. I had it all planned out in my head and on paper and I just wanted it to get out of my head and into my word processor and it was just taking so long. I liken it to being overdue with a baby: You love the kid, you loved most of your pregnancy, and, yah, you really loved the act of getting pregnant, but now it's getting to the point where you just want to pop the precious whippersnapper out already!

Part of it was that I just wanted to be done, but a bigger part of it was that I just wanted to be able to see my hard work and show everyone else. Also, it was so immersive and having the story floating around in my head was almost starting to feel like a burden. I just wanted it out!

So, basically, I found that this whole book-writing-thing was super hard work! Not that screenwriting isn't hard work. It's just different hard work.

I found myself having my typical explosive bursts of writing and I'd look back at what I'd written and find out that I really hadn't gotten much done. I find that when I'm writing a script, I'll have an explosive burst of writing and then look back at it and feel at least somewhat accomplished.

I think I lack patience. That's it.

I'm not saying I'll never finish the book -- because it's still floating around in my head and I sometimes have the urge to open the file and write a bit -- but I think I have a lot of learning to do before it happens.

No comments: