Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Canadian TV

I've been trying to watch a bit of Canadian TV lately. I mean, I live here, why not watch it? Plus, if I wanna work in Canadian TV, watching some might be a plus :P

I couldn't get into 'Traders'. I dunno. I just found it... odd. Crazy Rodney McKay. Everyone gets screwed. People die. Yay. I know a lot of people love it, and I can see why, but it's just not my thing. It's kind of like looking at a piece of art and not wanting it hanging in my home but recognizing the talent of the artist. Just not for me.

I watched a bit of 'Little Mosque' today. In principal, I like the idea of the show. I just find it a little... I don't know... over done? Unrealistic? Also, there was a whole conversation about ginger ale in today's episode that carried over to another scene and just wasn't funny for me. I hate to admit it, but I don't get a lot of what happens culturally on the show and it throws me off and pulls the rest of the story down with it. I'm not saying that the average Canadian can't find something to identify with on a diverse show, but it's not happening for me with Little Mosque.

Some of the things I liked? I thought that older bald guy was amazing and I thought his wife was hilarious. I wasn't too into the Imam and the younger Doctor. I found the other older guy to be a little too much of a characture. Same with Fatima and both of the kids.

I would guess that my favorite Canadian show ever would probably be 'Road to Avonlea'. Does that count? Because it did air on the Disney Channel or something, right? As for something that's on currently, 'Corner Gas' would top the list. I love Corner Gas. I think it's brilliant. I also think it's brilliant to end it next season. Why? Because Corner Gas has done things that no other Canadian show has done... it's gotten people to watch it (:P). Lots of people. By being simple and funny and not 'artsy' or 'deep' but still unique. It's just fun. It's just a good show. And I think I understand the want for it to be remembered for those things instead of being canceled going into it's 11th season. I get that.

As for other Canadian shows that I love... 'This Hour...', 'Rick Mercer', 'Daily Planet', 'Guinea Pig', etc. I watch a lot of Discovery Channel but I have to admit that I kind of miss the old days when they used to be a bit more educational. DC Civilization is also one of my favs, although I can only watch it at my parents' house because I don't get it because my roommate chose the satellite package.

No comments: