Monday, July 21, 2008

Life And Stuff...

It took me a long while to get to the point that I was ok with my life at this point. The reason? It took me a long time to understand that being ok with where my life was didn't mean that I had to accept it and stay there.

Have I made bad decisions? Sure. I've made a lot of decisions that I wish I could change, but in reality, they are what they are and I have to move forward. There are many things I wish I had done, many things I wish I hadn't done, and many places I wish my life had led me.

But what I have is this. And I need to be okay with that. I can look ahead and change the future, but I can't change the past. In order to change my future, I have to spend less time being maliciously unhappy with the choices I made. I made them. That's it. This is where my life is. And I have to move forward.

I think that many people spend a lot of time pondering (and hating) the choices they made and being angry and upset. Hey, I was one of them. The thing we all need to realize is that frame of mind gets us absolutely nowhere.

It's impossible to change past mistakes. We should look at them, learn from them, and then let them go. If your life isn't in a place that you want to stay in, that's okay. You can change that, but not by dwelling on the path that got you to where you are. And being okay with where your life is, accepting the choices you made, isn't about continuing to live that path. It's about opening yourself up to change.

I truly believe in luck. But I think that luck is earned. It's not bestowed on people who sit in a holes and ponder how they got there instead of how to get out.

No comments: