Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Life Stuff

Do you ever get that feeling where you learn something new and it makes doing the tasks it effects torture? Kinda like correcting a batting swing or skating technique? It feels uncomfortable and... silly.

Yah, I had that feeling today. I was airchecked (I work in radio. It's not a big secret.) today and the person who did it did a really good job. He gave me a ton of pointers, but it made doing my show hell because I was now aware of all the crap I was doing.

Luckily, I was VT-ing, and I think that's the best time to apply things learned in an aircheck because it gives you the option of starting over again if you get too flustered. Now, I don't recommend starting VTs over normally, but when you're trying to correct a bad behaviour, sometimes the best way to do it is to stop whenever you catch yourself doing it and start over. Also, if you end up feeling uncomfortable and sounding uncomfortable, you can - well - start over and not sound uncomfortable.

Radio is kind of like writing. You can pick out some of your own errors, but it isn't until you get someone else to look at your stuff that you realize how much you really suck.

So, anyways, work was hell. It was like poking a bruise all day.

No comments: