Monday, July 28, 2008

Training vs. Writing

I'm training for A Major Athletic Event. Part of me wonders why the hell anyone would inflict this sort of torture on themselves. The other part of me feels really good about achieving new goals and pushing myself. This means I've had little time to write. I feel really bad... like I've cheated myself. This was supposed to be my summer of writing and I haven't dedicated as much time as I would have liked to writing. It's no one else's fault but my own... but it still sucks.

I'm using this Major Athletic Event as a stepping stone to staying in shape all year long. See, I do a ton of winter sports. Hockey, figure skating, skiing, boarding, etc. This means that come spring, I'm usually in amazing shape. The down side of this (besides melting into a pool of blubber every spring) is that in the fall, when I'm gearing up to be active once again, I'm probably in the worst shape I've been in all year. Meaning that getting started with all my winter sports is absolute hell. Hell! Last winter, I think I was so sore after my first week of skating that I almost cried. Seriously. I think I also almost cried on the ice because I couldn't do anything right. So, I'm getting in shape nice and early.

The good thing about being a figure skater as a child is that I'm pretty educated in how to train myself. As a skater, you spend the majority of your time training on your own. The time you spend with a coach really is minuscule in the great scheme of things. So, I know what I need to do and I know how to push myself on my own. The problem comes when I try to put theory into practice. I've done it in the past, so it's not like I read a 'self training' text book and headed to the gym, but it's still not easy.

When I was skating with a coach, at least I had a few moments of them screaming at me from across the ice to pick up my arms or get my ass off the ice. Now? Not so much. I find myself hearing my Australian figure skating coach screaming bloody murder about not being able to see my legs or something similar. It seems to get me going.

Anyways... back on topic. I haven't been writing as much as I should. I've been doing a lot of re-reading and editing, but it's just not the same. I guess it's kind of like working out... pushing myself is easy in theory, but in practice, it's not as easy as I would have thought. And I don't have any Australian writing coaches to visualize :P

Whatever. I'll get back on track.

My sleepy time tea is kicking in. Have a good night!

No comments: