Friday, July 4, 2008

Interesting Conversations...

The Day Job allows me to talk to really, really interesting people and call it work. I've had the chance to interview a whole schwack of people... I'd have to say that some of the most interesting interviews I've done aren't celebrity based, but science based. I've also had the chance to talk to some Canadian TV producers/writers and some Canadian film writers/producers and they're pretty much on par with all of my fav tech/science interviews.

Out of all of the TV people I have talked to, I have to single out Damian Kindler. I talked to him in regards to Sanctuary and I wish I could post the whole raw interview here because he gave me an amazing interview. But, if I want to stay anonymous, that's not a good idea. Damian is super smart and very creative. He's also insanely nice and although he was really, really busy, he talked to me for quite awhile about Sanctuary and his passion for the project was honest and obvious. I saw today that Sanctuary was picked up by Sci-Fi and although I thought the news was awesome, I was a little sad that Damian's original idea of a web based show didn't seem to pan out. The interview I read said that it just didn't work out financially and I'd hazard to guess that many people weren't as nice and honest as Damian would have liked and torrented the show instead of buying it off the web site. That makes me sad because when I talked to Damian, he had such a cool idea... to meld the world of online downloads and sort of bend the 'visual media' industry towards a more sustainable future.

Damian likened the state of TV today to the state of the music industry about... ten (??) years ago when the MP3 first came out. The music industry is now, well, suffering because they thought that people would never download music and I thought it was amazing that Damian was recognizing the big pink elephant in the TV industry and not ignoring it like the music industry had. I hope this Sci-Fi pick up is just the beginning for Sanctuary and I hope that although it's on TV, Damian and his team keep their dedication to innovation. The industry needs people like Damian.

No comments: